The Protect IU Blog
Peanut Butter Recall for Indiana, Other States
The J.M. Smucker Company today announced a limited voluntary recall on two specific Best-If-Used-By dates of 16 oz. Smucker’s® Natural Peanut Butter Chunky because it may be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. For more information, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website at www.cdc.gov.
The affected product, which is packaged in 16 oz. jars, is as follows:
- UPC: 5150001701 (located on the side of the jar's label below the bar code)
- Production Codes: 1307004 and 1308004
- Best-If-Used-By dates: August 3, 2012 and August 4, 2012
- Chunky product only (not creamy)
- Impacted product would have been purchased between November 8 - 17, 2011
Some of these products have been distributed in Indiana. Consumers who have purchased Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter Chunky with the above Production Code and Best-If-Used-By dates are urged to discard the product immediately and call the company at 1-888-550-9555 for a replacement coupon.
Mike Jenson is IU's Director of Environmental Health and Safety Management