The Protect IU Blog
A reminder to safely enjoy Super Bowl festivities
During this week, continuing through Sunday, February 5th, Super Bowl related events will be occurring in Indianapolis. While we are excited about the spotlight this puts not only on our great city, but also our campus, it is important to be aware of issues of safety that arise when cities host events that attract more than 150,000 visitors. During the next week and a half we would encourage you to make wise choices in order to keep safe while also enjoying the festivities surrounding this event:
- Leave your valuables at home. Take a note with you of your credit card numbers and the numbers to call if they are lost or stolen.
- If you are parking a car during the Super Bowl, remove any valuables you don't actually need and leave the glove compartment open and conspicuously empty and always remember to lock the car.
- Always carry your wallet in a front pocket or secret pocket. Large events are attractive for pickpockets as they can easily blend in and snatch wallets without anyone noticing.
- While around the event site, look after your things, don't draw attention to anything of value, and don't leave your items unattended.
- Use the buddy system - go with a group of friends and return with the same group of friends. Pre-arrange a meeting place in case you become separated from your family/friends.
- Don't go anywhere alone. If you do have to travel alone, let people know where you may be going.
- Use common sense and good judgment while walking around the city.
- Look after yourself: know your limits and those of your friends. You will have a much better time if you avoid overdoing it and remember that you are much more likely to be a victim of crime if you are under the influence. Look after your drink, whatever it is, so that you don't become a victim of drink spiking. Don't give anyone the chance to put anything in it - watch your drink being made and don't accept anything that hasn't been opened in your presence.
- Make sure your phone is charged. Report anything that appears suspicious to the police immediately.
IUPUI will be providing event parking in several lots during the Super Bowl Week. Visit IUPUI Parking & Transportation Services for more information on daily parking rates as well as the shuttle bus schedule.
As a reminder, it is important to check with your current instructors or supervisor regarding your class/work schedules, especially this Friday and next Monday.
For more information related to IUPUI, please visit:
For more information about Super Bowl events please visit:
Remember that you are part of a community and please be a responsible citizen while you are out and about. Enjoy the event and the festivities by being smart and staying safe.
Jason Spratt is the Dean of Students at IUPUI.