Leave your building immediately when an alarm sounds or if you are instructed to do so by authorized emergency personnel; this is required by Indiana law.
- Turn off equipment.
- Secure hazardous operations if possible.
- If you are in a laboratory equipped with a fume hood and/or a biosafety cabinet, close hoods and sashes.
- Notify others on your way out.
- Close doors behind the last person out.
- Walk quickly to the nearest safe exit, or follow instructions of floor warden(s).
- Do not use elevators unless authorized emergency personnel direct you to do so.
- Report any missing or trapped persons to authorized emergency personnel.
- Move away from the building and go to your evacuation meeting site.
- Do not re-enter the building until authorized emergency personnel give the "all clear" signal.
If You Cannot Evacuate (because of disability, injury, or obstruction):
- Go to the Place of Refuge or the nearest area where there are no hazards.
- Notify the IU Police Department on your campus at 911 (9-911 will work as well from on-campus).