Leave your building immediately when an alarm sounds or if you are instructed to do so by authorized emergency personnel; this is required by Indiana law.
- Turn off equipment.
- Secure hazardous operations if possible.
- If you are in a laboratory equipped with a fume hood and/or a biosafety cabinet, close hoods and sashes.
- Notify others on your way out.
- Close doors behind the last person out.
- Walk quickly to the nearest safe exit, or follow instructions of floor warden(s).
- Do not use elevators unless authorized emergency personnel direct you to do so.
- Report any missing or trapped persons to authorized emergency personnel.
- Move away from the building and go to your evacuation meeting site.
- Do not re-enter the building until authorized emergency personnel give the "all clear" signal.
If You Cannot Evacuate (because of disability, injury, or obstruction):
- Go to the Place of Refuge or the nearest area where there are no hazards.
- Notify the IU Police Department on your campus at 911 (9-911 will work as well from on-campus).
- Signal out the window to emergency responders if possible.
- Remain calm, responders will arrive.
Persons with Disabilities
Persons who may require assistance to evacuate a building must be provided that assistance by those trained to do so, if possible. Persons in wheel chairs should not use the elevator unless instructed to do so by the fire department. These individuals must be protected in a safe place while awaiting rescue by the fire department. They should normally be safe in a designated Place of Refuge or an interior room near the stairwell if a Room of Refuge is not designated. If an alternate stairway is available it should be used in this event. Persons with disabilities as well as others who plan to assist them should be familiar with the Emergency Evacuation Action Plan.
Notify Responders: The location of all persons who remain in a building should be relayed to responding emergency personnel.