Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get a copy of my accident report or police report?
You can obtain copies of traffic accident reports of incident reports by visiting the IU Police Department on your campus during normal business hours. There may be a nominal fee (cash or check) to obtain a copy of these reports.
Is alcohol allowed in the dormitories?
As a general rule, alcohol is NOT allowed in the dormitories.
IU Bloomington: several floors across campus do allow alcohol to be kept in the rooms of residents over the age of 21. For more information visit the IUB Division of Residential Programs and Services website.
IU South Bend: Student apartments also referred to as Student Housing does not permit alcoholic beverages in the facility.
Is alcohol allowed/sold at Football games?
Alcohol is not allowed in or sold at any of the Athletic venues of Indiana University.
What is a "drinking ticket"?
A misdemeanor citation, which is sometimes called a 'drinking ticket', is an arrest. Although you are not placed into custody and transported to the jail, you are still required to attend the court date listed on the citation to answer to the charges stated on the citation. Failure to appear at the court could result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.  Call your campus IU Police Department for more information.

   IU Bloomington: Visit the Student Legal Services website for more information on misdemeanors and other legal questions

My car was towed. How can I get it back?
Please contact the IU Police Department on your campus and advise the dispatcher of your name and vehicle description. The dispatcher will be able to tell you the location of your vehicle and what will be needed to get your vehicle released.
How much does a traffic ticket cost? Where can I contest it?
It depends on the violation. Fines are set by the offices below for all Uniform Traffic Tickets (UTTs), [aka citation for a violation of Indiana State Law]:
IU Bloomington: Monroe County Clerk's Office 812-349-2602.
IU Southeast: Floyd County Clerk’s Office 812-948-5415.
South Bend: Saint Joseph County Clerk’s Office/Traffic Violation Bureau 574-256-6201
Where can I pay a traffic ticket?
Typically on the bottom or back of the ticket it will state where you can pay it. Violations of Indiana State Law that result in a driver receiving a Uniform Traffic Tickets (UTTs),  [aka citation for a violation of Indiana State Law], can be paid at the offices below:
Bloomington: Monroe County Clerk's Office, Justice Building at 301 North College Ave, Bloomington, IN
New Albany: Floyd County Clerk’s Office, 311 Hauss Square Rm 235, New Albany, IN.
South Bend: Saint Joseph County Clerk’s Office/Traffic Violation Bureau, 1st floor, 219 Lincoln Way, Mishawaka, IN
Can I appeal an IU parking ticket?
Information regarding ticket appeals and IU parking rules and regulations can be found at the following sites:
IU Bloomington: Office of Parking Operations
IU SoutheastIU Southeast Parking
IU South Bend: IU South Bend Parking Services
How do I keep my bicycle safe?
Please refer to Bicycle Theft Prevention Online Brochure for more information.
Can I get in trouble for just being in the same room as drugs?
Although all circumstances are different, the simple answer is Yes. You can and often times will be arrested if you knowingly or intentionally visit a building, structure, vehicle, or other place that is used by any person to unlawfully use a controlled substance ( IC 35-48-4-13 ).
Are weapons allowed on campus?
Firearms are NOT allowed on campus unless you have received written permission from the Chief of Police. Large edged weapons are also not allowed. Violation of this University Policy will result in application of any relevant Indiana Statutes as well as University sanctions. For additional information consult IU Human Resources the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct.
What can I do about harassing and obscene telephone calls?
Harassing or obscene calls is considered Harassment by Communication, a Class B Misdemeanor offense.
The following suggestions and notes are given for dealing with harassing calls:
  • Do not give out personal information over the phone. For example, if a caller gets a wrong number, do not offer information about yourself, your address or your telephone number.
  • It is a good practice to indicate that you are not alone when speaking to someone on the phone or in person, e.g. "we are busy now.
  • Give thought as to how you are listed in the telephone directory and on your mailbox. Some women use two initials and a last name only.
  • Hang up if the caller does not say anything, on the first obscene word, or if the caller does not provide identification to your satisfaction. Do not slam down the receiver and therefore admit that the call bothers you. Just hang up as you would normally.
  • If calls continue, do not hesitate to notify the police. Keep a log of when the call was received, exactly what was said by both parties, a description of the voice (young, old, hoarse, accent, etc.) or any background noise.
Who is authorized to release police information?
For the release all information to the media concerning Departmental affairs please contact the IU Chief of Police on your campus.  Requests can also be referred to University Communications (812) 855-8773, or to Superintendent of Public Safety Jerry L. Minger (812) 855-4296, If a Duty Shift Supervisor is available, they may be able to release blotter/summary information on IU Police incidents.
Where is the jail and how can I get a friend out?
IU Bloomington: Those arrested by the IU Police are transported to the Monroe County Jail; 301 North College Ave. Access to the jail is on the West side of the building. Please contact the Monroe County Sheriff's Department for information on the release of any persons from the jail.
IU Southeast: Those arrested by the IU Police are transported to the Floyd County Jail, 311 Hauss Square.  Please contact the Floyd County Sheriff’s Department for information on the release of any persons from the jail.
Other campuses the jail will be located and run by the town municipalities.
Is there a traffic pattern for Football and Basketball games at IU Bloomington?
Clearly, the roads around the athletic facilities were not designed to accommodate the large influx of motor vehicles experienced within the period preceding and following large athletic events. The traffic patterns currently being used have been found to maximize the movement of traffic. Following are a few tips that can lessen the frustration experienced by the traffic patterns: arrive early and avoid the traffic, know exactly where you plan to park ahead of time, car pool, follow the directions given by any Police Officer directing traffic, and be patient. For more information when visiting events in Bloomington check the IU Athletics website or call the IU Athletics Ticket Office at (800) 447-GOIU or (800) 855-4006.
I need to be fingerprinted. Where can I get this done?
IU Bloomington: IU Police, 1469 E. 17th St. at no cost to students, faculty and staff with identification.
  • During the Fall and Spring semesters, on Fridays between 9 AM to 5 PM
  • During the Summer, on Fridays from 10 AM to 2 PM
IUPUC in Columbus: Contact IUPD
IUPUI Indianapolis: IU Police, 1232 W. Michigan St. at no cost to students, faculty and staff with identification
  • During the Fall and Spring semesters, Mon-Fri 8:30am to 4 pm except on campus holidays
IU Kokomo: Contact IUPD
IU Northwest in Gary: Contact IUPD
IU East in Richmond: Contact IUPD
IU South Bend: Contact IUPD
IU Southeast: IU Police by appointment only at no cost to students, faculty and staff and a $5 charge to non-IU personnel.
Where do IU Police Officers have police powers?
IU Police Officers have primary jurisdiction on any real property owned or occupied by the University or on any streets through or adjacent thereto. Further, IU Police Officers are authorized to exercise police powers any area within the State of Indiana beyond the primary jurisdiction.  Provisions governing IU Police authority are Indiana Code (IC 21-39-4-6) and IU policy 'Exercise of Extended Jurisdiction by Officers of the Indiana University Police Department' (PS-PD-02-01)
What should I do if I am stopped by the police?
If you are stopped remember:
  1. Stay in your car unless the officer advises you otherwise.
  2. Keep your hands on the steering wheel so the officer can see them.
  3. Try to stay calm. Getting agitated with the officer or with others will not help the situation.
  4. Avoid making sudden movements especially toward the floor, rear seat or passenger side of the vehicle.
  5. Do not reach for your license or other documents until the officer requests them. (Indiana law requires drivers to show their license, registration, and insurance card upon request)
  6. If the stop occurs at night, put on your dome/interior lights so the officer can easily see that all is in order.
  7. If the officer issues you a ticket for reasons that are unclear to you, ask the officer for information, but don't become argumentative or antagonistic. Accepting a traffic ticket is not an admission of guilt. You can contest the ticket in court.
  8. Patrol cars are often staffed by only one officer. However, given the inherent dangers of traffic stops, officers almost always have backups when stopping a vehicle. Therefore you might see two or three police vehicles involved in a traffic stop.
  9. Some offenses prohibit continued operation of the vehicle by the driver. Therefore, in certain situations, an officer may impound a car or ask another licensed driver to drive the car. Officers may not, however, take your car without due cause.
  10. Remember that students are required to cooperate with the valid directives of University officials, including University police officers. Failure to do so may result in judicial charges (see Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct). In addition Indiana State law forbids a person to use physical force to resist an arrest, even if the arrest is later found to be unauthorized.

For additional information, please refer to the Department of Transportation's Publication, "The Traffic Stop & You".

Why was I stopped by the police?
Some of the common reasons that people are stopped by police include:
  • You may have committed a traffic offense.
  • You may fit the description of someone whom the police are seeking.
  • The officer may think you are in trouble and in need of help.
  • You may have witnessed a crime and the police may seek your assistance in identifying a person involved.

If you are stopped by the police, you should make every effort to be cooperative, and you can expect the officer to be courteous in return.

Our officers know that most people do not want to be stopped by the police, and they understand that you may feel some degree of anxiety if you are stopped. Keep in mind however, the officer who stops you may be feeling a high level of anxiety too. Because even seemingly “routine” traffic stops can be dangerous situations for officers, the police are trained to approach them with extreme caution.

For additional information, please refer to the Department of Transportation's Publication, "The Traffic Stop & You".

What resources are available for sexual assault victims?
There are many resources available to victims of sexual assault in the University community. Contact student health centers or local hospitals for more information.
IU Bloomington: IU Health Center Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
Why is skateboarding not allowed on campus?
Skateboarding is not allowed on campus due to the damage frequently caused as skateboarders perform "tricks" on the permanent fixtures of the campus including but not limited to steps, planters, handrails, and retaining walls.
What happens if I am caught skateboarding on campus?
If you are caught skateboarding on campus in a manner consistent with the high probability of damage being incurred upon the permanent fixtures of the university, you will formally be advised of the policy and then advised of Trespass. If you are caught skateboarding in the above proscribed manner again, after having been advised of Trespass, you could be arrested for Trespass ( IC 35-43-2-2 ).
How do I get into the IU Police Academy?
Generally, only Cadets that have served the department for a period of one year are eligible to be admitted to the IU Police Academy.
What is the Cadet/Officer program?
The IU Police Department has developed a comprehensive and unique law enforcement training program which, when coupled with the University's educational programs, produces a highly qualified, experienced, and educated law enforcement professional. The cadet officer program allows fu