Traveling by Car

Driving a personal or rented vehicle on university business can present unique risks to both IU and the traveler.  This page provides important details on driving requirements, IU insurance policies, and what to do in the event of accident.

Motor Vehicle Record Check

University policy requires IU faculty and staff to provide Indiana University authorization to conduct a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check and provide all information needed to conduct the check, prior to driving on any university related business.  Driving on university business will be prohibited if authorization to conduct a MVR check is not given.

Before driving for any trip, complete the Authorization Form for Motor Vehicle Records Check — available both online and in paper form.

Personal Car Stipulations

The traveler is responsible for any personal vehice expenses incurred beyond standard fuel or mileage reimbursment.  For example:

  • The university does not reimburse for flat tires, dead batteries, or other vehicle repairs.
  • The university does not reimburse speeding or parking tickets, or any other violations.

Rental Car Insurance

The Indiana University Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims carries blanket insurance coverage for all IU business vehicle rentals.  This coverage extends throughout the United States and to most foreign countries.  A list of countries where individual insurance is still required, and relevant details, can be found on the Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims website.

Travelers are encouraged to use Enterprise or National Car Rental when possible, as these providers have agreed to favorable insurance terms that benefit Indiana University.

The proper use of safety restraints by all passengers is the responsibility of the driver.  Contact the Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims for more information.

How to Deal With Auto Accidents

In the event of a motor vehicle accident while traveling on university business, follow recommended IU accident procedures and contact the Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims as soon as possible.