- Police Executive Leadership Academy graduate
- Northwestern University Staff and Command School graduate
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Safety Management
Wayne James has been in law enforcement for almost 13 years with the last six at Indiana University Police Department. He has served in many roles during his law enforcement career, such as patrol officer, detective, corporal, patrol sergeant, detective sergeant, operations lieutenant, executive lieutenant and SWAT officer.
James served the IU Northwest campus as the interim chief of police before being named chief of police in spring 2016. His responsibilities include patrol operations, dispatch, detective bureau, and SWAT. James is a certified Indiana law enforcement instructor specializing in gangs, building entries and general instruction. He was named the department's first Chief Diversity Officer in 2017. In this role, he shows leadership throughout the department in such issues as community engagement, officer training and employee recruitment.
Honors & Awards
- Medal of Valor
- SWAT Commendation Award
- Crisis Management Team
- Behavioral Consultation Team
- Northwest Indiana Chapter of the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives