2709 East 10th Street
- Bachelor of Science in Business, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
Sara Chambers is the Chief Data Officer for Indiana University. In this role, Sara oversees the University Information Policy Office including information policy, incident response and data administration. She serves as the chair of the University Data Management Council; coordinates the data stewards at-large; co-chairs the Information Security and Privacy Risk Council; is a member of the BTAA Data Governance group, the BTAA Security Working Group, the HE-CPO Group; and serves on IU’s Policy Advisory Council, University Assurance Council, GDPR Working Group, and the university’s Records Management Working Group.
Chambers has more than 30 years of experience in higher education. Prior to taking on the role of Chief Data Officer, she served as director in enterprise software administration (UITS) from 2005 until late 2014, with responsibilities for developing, managing, directing and implementing academic and administrative systems such as IU’s Oracle/PeopleSoft Student Information System, IU’s Sakai Learning Management system, IU’s Library systems, IU's Oracle/PeopleSoft Human Resource Management System, Timekeeping, HR Electronic Document system and subsequently the CRM Lifetime Engagement and Web Technical Services offerings.
Her previous responsibilities required compliance with information technology policies, data management policies and standards, as well as related student, employee, and HIPAA policies as they related to technical environments and systems. She is also a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Presentations and Publications
- The Higher Education Chief Privacy Officer Primer, Part 2: A Roadmap for Chief Privacy Officers in Higher Education, in collaboration with the HE-CPO working group, August 2017
- "The Higher Education CPO Primer, Part 1: A Welcome Kit for Chief Privacy Officers in Higher Education", In collaboration with the HE-CPO working group, August 2016
- "Every Day is Data Privacy Day at Indiana University", Chambers S., James T., February 2016.