- Associate's degree as a Specialist in Hazardous Control Technology, Indiana University
- FBI National Academy, Virginia
- Bachelor of Arts in Forensic Studies, Indiana University
- Indiana University Police Academy
A valued IU employee since 1995, Greg Butler currently works as Captain, Director of Public Safety Training and Education. He ensures that all IUPD Police Officers, both full-time and part-time, are properly trained and certified to perform their Law Enforcement duties. He oversees all seven IU Campuses, comprising over 130 police officers. It is Butler’s responsibility to coordinate the In-Service Training for all IUPD officers. He ensures that all officers meet at least the 24-hour annual minimum requirement for training as directed by the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board.
As Commander of the IU Police Academy, he also coordinates and supervises the selection of the IU Police Cadets and all of their Police training. He is a Master Instructor, which is the highest level of instructor as classified by the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board, and has taught occupational specialty courses and professional ethics.
Prior to IU, Butler was a United State Marine Corps (USMC) Officer for 20 years. He served at the two largest USMC installations and was appointed to the leadership positions of Provost Marshal (Chief of Police), Deputy Provost Marshal (Deputy Chief), Operation’s Officer, Officer in Charge of the Traffic Management/Accident Investigations section, and a Platoon Commander.
- Traffic Management/Accident Prevention Course at the Traffic Institute, Northwestern University.
- Commanders Course on Hostage Negotiation, Traffic Institute, Northwestern University.
- Physical Security Course, US Army Military Police School, Ft. McClellan, Alabama.
- Dynamics of International Terrorism Course, USAF Special Operations School, Elgin Air Force Base, FL.
- Traffic Management and Accident Investigation Course, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas (honor graduate)
- Counter Terrorism Course, US Army Military Police School, Ft. McClellan, Alabama
- Terrorism in Low Intensity Conflict, US Army JFK Special Warfare Center, Ft. Bragg, NC
- Field Grade Officer Winter Warfare Planning Course, USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center, Bridgeport, California
- Security Police Staff Officers Course, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX
- Senior Substance Abuse Awareness Course, Leesburg, VA.
- Verbal Judo, Public Agency Training Council, Indianapolis, IN
- Advanced Open Water Search and Recover Scuba Diver