- Master of Science in Criminology, Indiana State University
- Bachelor of Arts in Forensic Studies, Indiana University
- Advanced CPTED Certification
- Basic Hostage Negotiations Certification
- Multiple certifications involving law enforcement criminal investigations
- Indiana Crime Prevention Practitioner
Leslie Slone works closely with all campuses, guiding facilities projects into compliance with the Facilities Physical Security, Safety, and Privacy Base Bid Standards and Video and Electronic Surveillance policy.
Before joining IU Public Safety as a physical security analyst in 2013, she worked for IUPD-Bloomington, starting as a patrol officer in 1987 and then moving into criminal investigations in 1996. Slone was promoted to the rank of Detective Sergeant in 1999. In addition to handling her own caseload, Leslie managed the detective division, and served as a primary community presenter and trainer on matters involving personal safety, sexual assault and crime prevention.
Slone has taught law enforcement and community policing courses for Ivy Tech Community College since 2003 and has held instructor certification from the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board since 1995. She also is a Rape Aggression Defense instructor. Slone was honored as the Northside Exchange Club Police Officer of the Year in 2000, the same year she received the Phyllis Klotman Personal Safety Award from the IU Commission on Personal Safety.