IU Ready upgrade information
The IU Ready product provider has simplified processes and reduced the number of clicks between screens. Plus the navigation is more user-friendly and intuitive. Reports and plans can now be viewed on-screen, and the application is accessible on mobile devices. This document lists the biggest changes.
- Continuous delivery/deployment: The new technology design allows us to fix bugs and add enhancements without making you wait for official releases. Bug fixes can be pushed to the production environment immediately. Enhancements that don’t have a major impact on the user experience are added as soon as they’re available. With new features that might need explanation, we will announce the changes before release.
- Global navigation: IU Ready features a simplified global navigation. It no longer includes the Handylinks menu with different links in the drop-down on each screen. The global navigation menu appears at the top of the left hand navigation and includes the same links on each screen. IU Ready Admins have additional content that general users do not see including the Configuration, Help and Report screens.
- Guidance panels: The Guidance Panels in IU Ready are no longer customizable by institution. When we reviewed data on their usage, very few institutions were using them. The ones who did only customized a few screens, and much of those changes were out-of-date. To simplify system administration, we removed that feature. We’ve also been editing Guidance Panel content so it is more generic and applicable to more subscribers.
- Help screens: The previous version of IU Ready featured multiple screens where Admins could provide content to help users during planning. Links to these screens appeared in multiple locations throughout the application. To simplify system administration and improve the experience for users seeking help, we’ve added a Help link to the global navigation bar at the top left of the screen. IU Ready now features 3 screens where Admins can add content to support users. The Contacts screen is viewable outside the application without logging in. You can also use the FAQ and References pages to provide supporting resources for your users while in the application. All three screens are accessible from the Help link within the global navigation menu on every screen.
- Icons: Simple icons link to functions throughout the system. You can hover your mouse over an icon to view that icon label.
- Drag and drop ordering: Some of the list content can be rearranged to change the order of list items. This content is indicated by an icon with up and down arrows.
- Character limits: We’ve removed the character limits on fields. Previously there were limits that led to cutting off content in plans. This is no longer a problem.
- Plans screen: You no longer have to click through multiple welcome screens to access the Plans screen. It is now the first page you access when you log in. You can get back to it from any screen in the application by clicking either the logo at the top left or the Plans link in the global navigation. The Plans screen now includes a Last Updated column, rather than Last Accessed. Note that users will only see the plans that they personally have access to on the Plans page. Users with no plan access can still create their own plan by selecting the Start a new Plan button.
- Plan view: In the old application you had to generate a PDF in order to view a plan. You can now view plans directly on the screen by selecting the Print PDF icon within the guidance panel on any page within a plan. You will then get an in application view of the plan and you can also print the PDF from that view.
- Plan navigation: Navigation for individual plans in IU Ready is all on the left side, rather than across the top, down the left and in Handylinks. The core plan sections are the same as the old version of IU Ready and in the same order. Based on feedback from users, we’ve removed the numbered steps. Links related to managing the plan are in the top most section (Plan Details), followed by the links to actual plan content. For quick access, the Action Items Summary link has been moved within the Plan Details section of the navigation. The updated navigation has expanding and contracting menus that will consistently highlight your current location within the application.
- Edit and view modes: All plans now have two modes of presenting content: Edit and View modes. From the Plans page select the view or edit icons to open a plan in that mode. You can switch between modes at any time using the icons within the guidance panel.
- Manage plan access: When you create a plan, you’re automatically assigned the Plan Manager role, which replaces the Gatekeeper role in the old system. Plan Managers can use the Manage Plan Access link in the plan navigation to add other users, including additional Plan Managers, to plans. There are three user roles for plans. Plan Managers can view and edit plans and Manage Plan Access. Plan Editors can view and edit plans. Plan Viewers can view plans, but cannot edit them.
- Documents: IU Ready allows you to add documents using drag and drop functionality. When you click an uploaded document, it will open in a browser window if the file type doesn’t need to be opened in a separate application.
- Mark plan complete, annual review: Based on feedback from Admins that ‘annual’ didn’t reflect their processes, and the automated status updates and notifications were not accurate, we’ve modified this functionality quite a bit. Rather than provide separate screens to mark plans and annual review complete, we’ve created a Plan Status screen that allows you to select between statuses and add comments with each update. This is the first step toward major improvements that give you more flexibility. You can now add comments to updates and enter names and roles without having to select from system role and name options.