In order to promote safety and security for our students and employees, a Public Safety Advisory is being issued for the coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China.
University administration and campus health officials, in coordination with local health departments, the Indiana State Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control, are closely monitoring the ongoing outbreak of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) related illnesses in China and in individuals who recently traveled in East Asia or Southeast Asia.
This is a rapidly changing situation and as more about the virus is understood, recommendations and affected areas may change. Information will be updated as soon as it is available and verified.
Please call your primary health care provider or your IU campus health center if you:
- Have traveled to Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, or
- Were in close contact with a person who is under investigation for coronavirus while they were ill OR has a laboratory-confirmed case within the last 14 days
- Have symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath.
When you call, please inform them of your symptoms and recent travel or potential exposure before going to the health facility.
Most cases are mild and most have recovered without issue. IU will continue to monitor the situation closely.
The largest health concern on campus remains common influenza.
In light of cold and flu season and this current outbreak of a new virus, follow these best practices to help prevent the spread of illnesses:
- Stay away from ill people and stay away from others if you are ill.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with your elbow or tissue.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Use single use tissue and dispose immediately.
- Do not share drinks, food or utensils.
- Get good sleep and drink plenty of water.
- Get an annual flu (influenza) shot through your primary care provider, local minute clinic or campus health center.
- Clean and disinfect common touch surfaces frequently.
- Avoid large or crowded events if you feel sick.
There is currently a Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Travel Alert – Level 3 – Avoid All Nonessential Travel to Wuhan, China and a Travel Alert – Level 1, Practice Usual Precautions– for all travel to China.
The Indiana State Department of Health has information specific to the coronavirus.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides more information about Coronavirus 2019-nCoV.
Thank you for your cooperation and support in keeping our campuses safe.