Thefts of catalytic converters from vehicles have recently been reported at IUPUI and IU Bloomington, as well as in other communities where IU campuses are located.
Please consider the following safety tips to help protect your vehicle.
- Park your vehicle in a secure location, such as a garage or fenced-in area.
- If a garage or fenced-in area is not available, park your vehicle in a well-lit location and, if possible, close to a building entrance.
- Be on the lookout for suspicious vehicles lingering around parked cars, trucks, and vans. Also be aware of people with backpacks containing tools who seem out of place and are hanging around parking lots, parked vehicles, or who are going from vehicle to vehicle.
- Consider purchasing and installing an aftermarket skid plate system that will make a catalytic converter more difficult to steal. There are other preventive tool applications available, as well.
- Consider having the VIN number of your vehicle stamped into the catalytic converter by a muffler expert in case of theft.
If you observe any suspicious activity, please call 911 to report it.