Call to Order and Approval of Minutes
- Minutes from the last meeting were received and approved without modification.
- Guests Leslie Pfeffer, Eric Schmidt, Rick Jackson, and Mark Bruhn were introduced.
Doug Wasitis and Marcia Gonzalez raised the issue of what the role of the Council would be relative to policies the university might develop to accept classified research (which IU currently does NOT accept). Wasitis thinks there’s interest by some units at IU to accept such research and how that might be done, but it hasn’t progressed very far. Marcia noted that there hasn’t been much discussion on the matter or a policy change. Bruhn clarified that we have policy to not conduct classified research using university facilities/systems, but we do have people that conduct such research at other locations. Related issues are that classified research often carries a publication restriction (to which some are opposed), and significant added cost/infrastructure to manage and protect such research is required. Tom Davis raised the potential risk of people doing research at other locations and bringing that information to the university. Marcia will work to determine how many people we might have doing classified research off site so that the Council can get a sense of the risk involved. Otherwise, the Council’s involvement will be deferred until such time as there is further activity in this area.
Tom Davis gave an update on the status of the draft memo (on the progress of this council) to VPs and chancellors. Feedback on the draft was discussed. It was suggested that the letter offer a briefing to executives on the program. Tom will revise to include an offer to brief executives on program. Distribution of the memo was discussed. Committee consensus: John Applegate and Brad Wheeler should review memo and determine distribution. Dan will provide list of executives to Tom for potential future use.
Survey Monkey results of the first priority gaps were shared and reviewed. Based on time and resources, our plan is to focus on the top 5 gaps. It is likely that other gaps will also be addressed as opportunity/resources/synergies arise. Ownership of gaps was identified: Gap 1(g) – Tom Davis, Gap 2(c) – Merri Beth Lavagnino, Gap 3(h) – Tom Davis, Gap 4(a) – Kim Milford, Gap 5(b) – Kim Milford. Council members should forward other ideas to the chairs.
Next meeting: April 30, 2012, 2-4 PM
March 7, 2012
Poplars 017, Video Bridge 223739
Mark Bruhn (Guest)
Eric Cosens (staff)
Tom Davis (Chair)
Rick Jackson (Guest)
Leslie Pfeffer (Guest)
Eric Schmidt (Guest)
Merri Beth Lavagnino (Co-Chair)
Mary Frances McCourt