Taking a taxi or using a ride-hailing service can be a great alternative to walking home in the dark, especially after a night out socializing or a late night at the library, but consider these precautions:
- Don’t hesitate to skip the ride if it seems suspicious.
- Ask the driver "WHAT'S MY NAME?" If s/he doesn't say your name, do not get into the vehicle.
- Confirm the driver’s name, the make of the vehicle and license plate.
- Consider letting a friend track your ride using the “Share status” or “Send ETA” features on the app. If your ride-hailing service doesn’t offer these, take a picture of the car and license plate and send to a friend.
- Enter your destination on a mapping app and follow your progress.
- Don’t sit in the front seat.
- Call police if it seems suspicious.