In 2013, more than 4,700 pedestrians were killed and 66,000 were injured in the United States. Between January 2010 and January 2013, more than 60 pedestrians were injured in traffic accidents on the IU Bloomington and IUPUI campuses. And in 2009, two pedestrians were injured and one was killed at IU Bloomington during a single week. Our campuses are as safe as we can make them, but despite our best efforts, accidents do happen.
Road safety is everyone’s responsibility
Be a smart pedestrian
- Walk on the sidewalk.
- Cross only at marked crosswalks and intersections.
- Look left, right, and left again for traffic before crossing.
- Use pedestrian push buttons and obey “walk” and “don’t walk” signals.
- Make eye contact with drivers, and never assume that they see you.
- Recognize risks, know your options, and always look out for your own safety.