Bicycle theft is a constant problem on most college campuses, but there are ways to substantially reduce the chances of your bike being stolen.
Take these steps to protect your bike
- Record the make, model, and serial number of your bicycle and store it in a safe place.
- Save all receipts involving the purchase of your bicycle and equipment.
- Your campus may require bicycle registration, which may include a fee. Please check with the IU Police Department on your campus. Unregistered vehicles (including bicycles) are subject to ticketing and impoundment by parking enforcement offices.
- Always lock your bicycle. An unlocked bicycle is a much easier target than one that is properly secured.
- Lock your bicycle using a cable and lock as well as a case-hardened U-lock.
- Lock your bicycle in a well-lit area on a bicycle rack.
- Never leave your bicycle totally unlocked, even for a minute.
- Report suspicious individuals hanging around bicycle racks by notifying the IU Police Department on your campus.