Travel Safety

Travel safety

As a world-class leader in higher education, Indiana University depends upon travel for its ongoing success. The ability to attend conferences, visit academic peers, and experience other cultures provides a great benefit to our students, faculty, and staff. At the same time, it can present unique risks.

The following information will help you mitigate those risks when planning your next trip, and address any safety issues that may arise while traveling.


Driving a personal or rented vehicle on university business can present unique risks to both IU and the traveler. Learn more about driving requirements, IU insurance policies, and what to do in the event of accident.

Motor Vehicle Record check

Before doing any driving for university business — your daily commute is not considered “university business” — you must complete the Authorization Form for Motor Vehicle Records (MVR) check and submit it to the Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims (INLOCC). University policy requires IU faculty and staff to provide Indiana University authorization to conduct a Motor Vehicle Record check and provide all information needed to conduct the check prior to driving on any university-related business. Driving on university business will be prohibited if authorization to conduct a MVR check is not given.

Personal car stipulations

The traveler is responsible for any personal vehicle expenses incurred beyond standard fuel or mileage reimbursement. For example, the university does not reimburse for flat tires, dead batteries, or other vehicle repairs, nor does the university reimburse speeding or parking tickets, or any other violations.

IU Travel Management Services

The Travel Management Services site provides policy and procedure details for IU-sponsored travel, including instructions for using the online travel system, working with our contracted travel vendors, and a list of local and global discounts available to IU travelers.