When thunder roars, go indoors
If you hear thunder, lightning is close enough to strike you. Stay safe!
If caught outside with no safe shelter, reduce your risk!
- Immediately get off elevated areas such as hills, mountain ridges or peaks.
- Never lie flat on the ground.
- Never shelter under an isolated tree.
- Never use a cliff or rocky overhang for shelter.
- Immediately get out and away from ponds, lakes and other bodies of water.
- Stay away from objects that conduct electricity (barbed wire fences, power lines, windmills, etc.).
National Weather Service tips
National Center for Environmental Health