Don't let criminals take advantage of your generosity. When it comes to making charitable donations, follow these tips to avoid scams.
- Investigate the charity before you donate to ensure your money will be used by a legitimate organization.
- Ask individuals who want your money to provide evidence that they are affiliated with the organization seeking the donation before you donate.
- Pay with a credit card or check. Be wary of groups that insist you pay by wiring money or using gift cards.
- Watch for red flags like being asked to give cash right away before you’ve had a chance to learn more about how your donation will be used.
- If you feel pressured or suspect fraud, trust your instincts.
- If you think you may have been scammed, contact the IU Police Department.