Parking and vehicle safety
Parking and traffic regulations
All employees and students need to buy their permits online. Visit parking.iu.edu to buy your permit. Select the permits menu, and login with your IU ID and passphrase. The permit types and rates will vary depending on your university status (i.e. faculty, staff, or student). You’ll need at least one license plate number to complete your transaction, so have that on hand.
Safety-related vehicle issues
It's important to follow safety guidelines, especially with our modes of transportation. If a vehicle poses a hazard to anyone's safety on campus, IUPD will remove it.
For your own personal preparedness, look to our information on travel safety.
If you're a pedestrian at any point on any IU campus, look to our information on traffic & pedestrians.
Protect your vehicle from theft
To keep yourself and your vehicle safe, consider the following safety tips:
- Do not lend your keys to anyone you do not know and trust.
- Always hide valuables and money so they cannot be seen through windows.
- Park in well-lit, regularly frequented areas if possible, and lock all doors and roll up windows.
- Always report suspicious behavior.
- Install a steering wheel locking device.
- Install quality video surveillance cameras and alarms.
- Install a GPS tracking device.
- Never leave your car running.
- Contact dealerships regarding anti-theft options for the vehicle.
- Keep information, such as the make, model, model year, license plate and Vehicle Identification Number accessible in the event your vehicle is stolen.
Appeal form for parking violations
Complete your parking violation appeals at parking.iu.edu. You’ll be notified if your appeal is accepted within 14 days of the citation date.
Visitor parking is available on campus using a daily permit. Daily permits are available for use in general permit parking lots. You can buy permits at the automatic dispensers located near each entrance to campus. Or, you can buy them at the IUPD office during business hours.
Departmental, event, and arranged parking requests
Only a university sponsor can receive parking for their event. University sponsors are either a department, program, or registered student club. Events that charge admission will not receive free parking.
Ensure your safety and everyone else’s by parking your bicycle in a bike rack. Other designated areas to park bikes are okay too, if marked as such. Worried about your bike getting stolen? We have some theft prevention tips.