Party Playbook & Penalties

Party Playbook

Lifeline Law

The Indiana Lifeline Law provides immunity for crimes of public intoxication, minor in possession, minor in consumption, and similar laws to persons who identify themselves to law enforcement while seeking medical assistance for a person suffering from an alcohol-related health emergency. It’s important that people cooperate with responders once they arrive.


Keep your cell phone charged so you can call for help if needed and receive IU-Notify emergency alerts. Also, know what social media to follow for local news and updates. Follow IU Police on X, Facebook, and Instagram for useful information. 

Go in groups

Don’t ditch your friends. Walking alone at night increases the danger you place yourself in.

Honesty with police officers

Whatever you do, remember to be honest in all of your interactions with police. Tickets are expensive, but police cannot ignore violations of drinking and other laws designed to help keep people safe.

Noise awareness

Your music may not be loud to you, but your neighbors may think otherwise. Expect a visit from your IUPD or local police department if you are causing a disturbance.

Designated drivers

Always be sure you have a gameplan on how to get home if you’re drinking. Friends don’t let friends drive drunk.

Free safety escort at IU Bloomington

Ride-sharing services

Always check to make sure you’re getting into the right car when using a ride-hailing service. If something seems fishy, skip the ride and call IUPD or your local police department.

More about ride-sharing precautions


If you have friends visiting from off campus or other cities, make sure they know IU policies. Also, look out for them so that their visit is memorable for the right reasons.

Fake IDs

Possessing a fake ID is a crime. Using a fake ID can result in criminal penalties and a one-year suspension of your license.

Illegal possession of alcohol

In Indiana, it’s illegal for anyone under 21 to possess alcohol. Illegally possessing alcohol while operating a vehicle can result in a one-year suspension of your license.

Consumption by a minor

You don’t have to be intoxicated, just under 21, to be charged with illegal consumption. Consuming alcohol while operating a motor vehicle can result in a one-year suspension of your driver’s license. You could have to pay $400 or more in pre-trial diversion costs if you get caught drinking underage.

Furnishing alcohol

It’s illegal to provide alcohol to a minor. If you sell or give alcohol to a minor and that minor gets injured, becomes seriously ill, or dies, you have committed a felony.

Maintaining a common nuisance

If you attend a party where illegal drugs are being used, you can be charged with the crime of “visiting a common nuisance,” even if you aren’t using them. Hosting a party where illegal drugs are being used can result in a felony charge of “maintaining a common nuisance.”