Severe weather refers to any dangerous meteorological phenomena with the potential to cause damage, serious social disruption, or loss of human life. High winds, hail, excessive precipitation, and wildfires are forms and effects of severe weather, as are thunderstorms, downbursts, lightning, and tornadoes. Regional and seasonal severe weather phenomena include blizzards, snowstorms, and ice storms.
Tornadoes & Severe Weather
Severe Thunderstorm Watch or Warning
Severe Thunderstorm Watch
Severe thunderstorms are possible, continue normal activities and monitor the situation.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Severe thunderstorms are occurring.
- Keep people indoors and away from windows until the severe storm passes.
- If you are outside, seek shelter immediately.
- Report injuries and damage on campus to the IU Police Department at 911(9-911 will also work from an on-campus phone). Notify your departmental administrative office.
Tornado Watch or Warning
Tornados and severe thunderstorms are possible — continue normal activities but monitor the situation.
An actual tornado has been identified in the area by spotters and/or radar.
- If in the warning area, seek shelter immediately. Stay away from windows and exterior doors. Basements, interior hallways on the lower floors and small interior rooms on the lower floors offer the best shelter.
- Know the location of your nearest shelter in advance.
- Do not open windows; this can increase damage to the building.
- Report injuries and damage on campus to the IU Police Department at 911 (9-911 will also work from an on-campus phone). Also, notify your local Campus Facilities Services or Physical Plant Offices of damage and your departmental administrative office.
- If in a vehicle, get out and seek shelter in a sturdy building. If a building is not available, lying flat in a depression such as a ditch or ravine offers some protection.
Thunder and lightning and weather sirens
Thunder and lightning
If you hear thunder less than 30 seconds after seeing a flash of lightning, seek safe shelter immediately.
Weather SirensIUPUI / Indianapolis
Marion County operates tornado sirens which are tested every Friday at 11:00 AM. Upon hearing the siren for a weather emergency, follow the steps above for a tornado warning.See Marion County's criteria for sounding the sirens
IUB / Bloomington
Monroe County outdoor warning sirens are tested the first Friday of the month at 12:00 noon, unless weather conditions are such that there may be a need for an actual warning.See Monroe County's criteria for sounding the sirens
The more prepared you are to take care of yourself during an emergency, the more time emergency responders have to take care of other people.John Summerlot, Emergency Management Coordinator
Emergency campus contact information
- IU Bloomington
IUPD from a non-campus phone: 812-855-4111
IUPD from a campus phone: 9-1-1
IUPD address: 1469 E. 17th Street
IUPD from a non-campus phone: 317-274-7911
IUPD from a campus phone: 9-1-1
IUPD non-emergency number: 317-274-2058
IUPD address: Ball Annex, 1232 Michigan Street, Indianapolis
Columbus Police from a non-campus phone: 9-1-1 or 812-379-1689
Columbus Police non-emergency number: 812-348-7388
Columbus Police from a campus phone: 9-911
- IU East
IUPD from a non-campus phone: 765-973-8429
IUPD from a campus phone: 8429
IUPD non-emergency number: 765-973-8357
IUPD address: Whitewater Hall Room 131, 2325 Chester Blvd, Richmond
- IU Kokomo
IUPD from a non-campus phone (M-F, 8am-10:30pm): 765-455-9363
IUPD non-emergency number: 765-455-9432
IUPD address: Kelly Center, Room 240
Kokomo Police from a non-campus phone: 9-1-1 or 765-459-5101
Kokomo Police from a campus phone: 9-911
- IU Northwest
IUPD from a non-campus phone: 219-980-6501
IUPD from a campus phone: 6501
IUPD non-emergency number: 219-980-6501
IUPD address: 3400 Broadway, Gary
Gary Police non-emergency number: 219-881-1214
Gary Police emergency number: 911
- IU South Bend
IUPD from a non-campus phone: 574-520-4239
IUPD from a campus phone: 4239
IUPD non-emergency number: 574-520-4239
IUPD address: 2002 Mishawaka Avenue, South Bend
South Bend City Police non-emergency number: 574-235-9201
- IU Southeast
IUPD from a non-campus phone: 812-941-2400
IUPD from a campus phone: 2400
IUPD non-emergency number: 812-941-2400
IUPD address: 4201 Grant Line Rd., New Albany
New Albany Police non-emergency number: 812-948-5300
New Albany Police emergency number: 911