Your personal safety is your responsibility. While IUPD officers are available 24/7, a threat to your safety can develop quickly. It’s up to you to protect yourself.
Prepare for specific situations
Follow these general tips
- Recognize and identify risks. Know where you’re going, what you’re doing, and who you’re with.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Take out your earbuds, put away your cell phone, keep your head up and your hands free, and travel in well-lit areas.
- Have a plan. Think through the steps you’d take to react to a particular threat.
- Improve your options. Know what you can do to increase your chances of staying safe, such as taking a self-defense course.
- Prepare. Resolve to be mentally ready to evaluate a situation and make the best decision for your safety.
- If you see something, say something. If you see something suspicious, call your IUPD campus division.